Sunday, January 01, 2006

Why not "Flooded Muddy Creek Hollow"?

So, here's one. My apartment complex has changed its name from "The Hollows" to "Quail Hollow". Why the change? No idea.

I just have one thing to say: I have never seen a quail here.

Raccoons? Yes. Feral stray cats? Just saw one outside earlier today. Squirrels that jump on my screen window just to scare the living hell out of me? Certainly. Construction and landscaping guys who think that the dumpsters are their own personal urinal? Sure thing (and by the way, ew. There are kids who play near the dumpsters--big metal boxes with lots of hiding room behind them, so they're irresistable in the eyes of a 7-year-old).

But... QUAIL?

It's like another complex near here that's "The Islands of Fox Something", but definitely doesn't have even one island, much less plural islands. I want to be the person who comes up with pretentious names for apartment complexes; the ones that don't make any sense are the best ones.

And because I can, I'm concluding with one of my favorite Simpsons quotes:

Lisa: Pablo Neruda said, "Laughter is the language of the soul."
Bart: I am familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda.

(From "Bart Sells His Soul")

No comments: