Sunday, March 25, 2007

Slasher movie moment

Friday night/Saturday morning, I woke up around 4 am to find that my power had gone out. Yes, I wake up when my power goes out. I can sleep through my alarm without any problem, but the sound of my VCR and computer powering down... THAT wakes me right up. First thing I always do during a power outage is to check the stairwell to ensure that the whole building has gone out.

Nope. Just my apartment.

I went out to check my circuit breakers (which are in a little closet on my balcony, so I really do mean "out"). None were tripped. So, my power is out, and JUST my power is out, and for no apparent reason. Oh boy.

Now, if I were the sort of person who freaks out easily, this might have had me quite unsettled. As it was, I sat up for a little while to make sure that nobody was trying to break in or anything like that, and then went back to bed for a couple of hours. Woke up around 8:30, did a bit of straightening up so I wouldn't be horribly embarrassed to have maintenance people in my apartment, and then went over to the office to put in a work order.

My power was back on an hour later, without maintenance even setting foot in here... some of our darling local teenagers had gotten into the building's main breaker box. Just when I think that I couldn't be any more enamored with these kids, they do something like this that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

(For those of you who don't know me, that's major sarcasm.) ;)

So, right now, you're thinking, "Jen, this is a pretty boring story, and worse, it has nothing to do with knitting." HA! While I was sitting up, I decided to knit something... but what? I wasn't about to do lace work by candlelight, so my Go With The Flow socks and my Bejeweled scarf were out of commission. Instead, I finished up side #2 of my Manos mitered square bag. As in, all that's left now is to sew up the sides, felt it, and find something for straps/handles.

Mitered square bag pieces

This thing... mitered squares are painfully boring, you know? At least my mitered square rug had color changes to break up the monotony. Also, I was still very much a beginner at that point, so endless garter stitch wasn't so terrible. This bag? No such luck. This bag has sat in my WIP basket for, I kid you not, a YEAR AND A HALF. The only thing that stopped me from ripping it out was knowing how much I loved the colors, and how much I wanted the finished bag... and now I'm a BIG step closer to that. :)

Here it is all macro-ed and sun-drenched (i.e., the colors are much darker in real life):
Manos colors

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That would have scared me, too. I am like you because I wake up if I hear the TiVo or computer powering down. I'm glad that the power came back up quickly, though!