Sunday, April 22, 2007

Look! Cables!

Guess what I did with Day One of my weekend...

Ljod cable inset

Yep. That's a finished cabled knot! What a great first "real" cabling project -- all of the cablework on the back is done, and now I can work on the rest of the back without a great deal of concentration.

NOT working with that concentration led to me decrease a stitch somewhere in the middle of one of these knots. Of course it couldn't have happened in one of the the stockinette sections. I blame myself. I decided to knit while watching Children of Men. I am dumb like this from time to time. Excellent movie, but not knit-friendly.

On a different pattern, I'd just add a stitch somewhere and move on... but doing that in the middle of a symmetrical cable pattern looked weird -- yes, I tried. I was hoping in vain that I'd be able to fake it. No way. I ended up dropping the knot section back 4 rows, to a row that I knew was right, and knitted that section over. Of course, after I dropped it back and had those strands hanging there, I had that wonderful "I've made a huge mistake, I just made it worse, I'll have to frog the whole thing" moment. However, somewhere out there, the patron saint of knitting took pity on me. I'm still in awe that it actually worked. :)

Anyway: yay, cables! Especially when you pay attention to them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cables look GREAT...it is going to be a beautiful sweater.

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to see that movie. I read the book years ago, and it was really fast paced.

Coleen said...

Wow that looks great. I love that color! So happy!

Jody said...

It looks awesome! This is going to be an amazing sweater when it's done.

Are you coming to knitting tonight? I can't wait to see it in person!

Amie said...

Yay, you!

Can't wait to see the whole sweater on you at dinner tonight! (what?)

It really will be gorgeous!