Friday, July 21, 2006

Spinning breakthrough

Sorry, no pictures this time. No new dye projects, and the only thing I've been working on is something for my secret pal (4 of 6 mystery objects are done, and I should get the other 2 done tonight. Yay, instant gratification!).

I've also been doing some spinning... I had a breakthrough there, and suddenly it's moving much much faster. Turns out that I had been pre-drafting WAY too much, and I was working with strips of roving so thin that the fiber wouldn't draft during spinning. I was feeling lazy a few days ago and pulled out a wider strip to work with, and *boom* it started drafting! I can't wait to finish spinning my current stash of merino roving so I can knit something out of it. There's 4.5 ounces, and it's coming out more-or-less worsted weight; might be enough for a shrug. And of course, then I'll have to get more fiber once I'm through with this batch. More merino? Something else, like silk? We'll have to see. :)

I think I'm going to a knitting group tomorrow in Baltimore, and I'm taking Tempting II with me. It's been a bit neglected since Monday night's group. I find that I tend to get more knitting done when I'm around other people, so I'm hoping this will push Tempting along a bit.

No comments: