Thursday, July 13, 2006

Tales of the power outage

We had a very quick, yet very ugly storm blow through yesterday afternoon. It was one of the ones where you just stare at it wondering how the heck that much rain is even possible. Anyway, I got home after work to discover: power outage! My apartment doesn't get a lot of light inside even on bright days, so I took some knitting and some lemonade and sat outside on my balcony until it was dark. It was nice; I always think about knitting on my balcony, and I never actually do it. I briefly considered grabbing some candles and staying outside once it got dark, but... there are bats around here. 'Nuff said.

Just so you know how much of a genius I am: Since my phone doesn't work during a power outage, I had my cell phone on so I could get work calls. The charge was low, so I plugged it in to recharge. While my power was out.

I eventually realized that this wasn't going to work, so I went to Target to get a car charger and some other stuff (like a flashlight... how do I not own a flashlight?). I then drove around for a while to charge the phone up, which was entirely worth it since I heard "Baba O'Riley" on the radio. Awesome song, no matter how many TV shows use it. Anyway, once I got home, I did some knitting by candlelight... not something I necessarily want to do every night, but it was kind of fun. All in all, it was a strangely enjoyable evening. And since I got a few hours of uninterrupted knitting in, I now have 3.5" of my Chevron Rib tank done. Amazing the way things progress when I actually work on them.

I've reached my 6-month hire date at work, which means that I can put myself into consideration for a full-time position when one opens up. And it turns out that I'm eligible for the information desk, not just the circ desk. I thought the info desk positions required a Library Science degree, but they just require a bachelors... so there's this whole other category of positions that I hadn't even thought about. Anyway, fingers are crossed. Even with the weird old guys that I encounter, I really enjoy working there, and something full-time would be fantastic. (Think I'm kidding about the weird old guys? One told me on Tuesday that he goes to this country-western bar on Fridays, and he'll buy me a drink if I show up there some time. Old enough to be my grandfather. If it had gone on much longer, the gals at info were coming to rescue me.)

No comments: