Thursday, March 30, 2006

I actually knit sometimes, I swear

Oh my goodness, how much am I loving the fake "The More You Know" spots done by The Office cast? Dwight's "How to survive a bear attack" one had me in hysterics.

I should have an actual FO in the next couple of days. I know, kind of shocking. It's a scarf that I've been working on... no, not the one listed in my "what I'm working on" list over in yonder sidebar. I'm not so great about keeping that updated. Anyway, it's a scarf that I'm going to keep knitting until I run out of yarn, which will happen soon. Then I need to block (it's lace-ish, so I'm definitely blocking it), and THEN I can take pictures of it in all its fabulously technicolored mohair glory.

This post over at Slashfood about foods they hope to never find in their pantry makes me laugh. They're doing a whole series of posts about cleaning out one's pantry, how to restock it after cleaning, etc. Anyway, I am proud to say that I do not have ANY of these items in my pantry. Not even boxed mac & cheese, which I do get an occasional craving for every few months. My college taste buds kick in every once in a while, and I absolutely must have ramen noodles or boxed mac & cheese.

Speaking of things I used to eat in college: As you may or may not know, I used to live in Richmond, home of the best supermarket chain in the world, Ukrop's. Some of their stores had a made-to-order "grill" section, which provided many a meal for me over the years. And while I got burgers and other sandwiches from time to time, I was absolutely addicted to their fried rice. Anyway, nowadays I can't get Ukrop's fried rice without a 3-hour drive. I'd just get Chinese restaurant fried rice, but it's not quite right; the flavor isn't the same, and it's almost always too greasy. So, since moving, I've been periodically experimenting to try to come up with my own Ukrop's fried rice recipe, but there was always a flavor that eluded me.

Until tonight.

HOISIN.

Success!!! *Happy fried rice dance*

1 comment:

Trillian42 said...

Isn't it sad to still miss a freakin' grocery store after almost 2 years? Personally, I miss their fabulous lemony London broil. Kris would probably commit crimes for their cucumber salad.

And dammit, we fast-forwarded through the "TMYK" bits, so we missed them