Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Knitting blog? What knitting blog?

I'll have knitting stuff very soon, I promise.

I came across
this list of 30 books you should read before you die, and I'm so happy that The Master and Margarita is on there. I had to read that for my freshman year "Core Course" (a mandatory lit class) in college. We read 25 or so books for that class, and The Master and Margarita was one of the only two that I actually liked (the other was Beloved). When I say I liked it, I mean I absolutely LOVED it. I still have my copy of it, and haul it out every couple of years for a re-read. Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen it on one of these Very Important Works of Literature lists before. I HIGHLY recommend it, if you haven't read it.

I had two people at work today separately tell me I should apply for a promotion once I'm eligible (have to be working there for 6 months before you can apply for a different position). I had been planning on trying to do that anyway, but it's nice to hear that other people there think I'm doing a good job and should go for it. Yay! :)

AND there were 2 kids' tours today, which is always entertaining. I was listening in on the one tour group while they were up near the desks, and I had to stifle a laugh when tour guide Brian came up with the following when showing a roll of microfilm to the kids: "
Micro means 'small'... and film means 'film'." I didn't get a chance to ask if that was, in fact, an homage to the monorail episode of The Simpsons in which Lyle Lanley tells the monorail conductor training class, "Mono means 'one', and rail means 'rail'." Was the joke completely lost on a group of 5-year-olds? Yep.



Right now, I'm watching a repeat of Barefoot Contessa, and Ina and her friend are taking a tour of a lighthouse that the friend is restoring. They just had the following exchange:

Ina: Can I go down backwards?
Friend: Sure. Lots of people go down that way.

At which point, I begin laughing uncontrollably. Thank you, TWOP, for making it so I can't even watch a COOKING SHOW without having my brain in the gutter. I blame this entirely on the thread on the 24 forum entitled "You know what Johnson does: Non-Sexy Sexy Dialogue".

(Speaking of 24... Poor Edgar. They better stop killing off characters before the place is entirely staffed with redshirts.)

No comments: