Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pre-baking check

My sourdough starter seems to still be going strong. Barring unforeseen problems, I'm going to try to make a loaf of homemade sourdough bread for the Oscar party, and it occurred to me that I should wake up my starter and say hello. I got it out and fed it earlier; it bubbled a lot, and still smells like apples, so I'm happy. It weirds me out a little bit that it smells like apples, because there are, of course, no apples in there. However, given the choice, I'd rather have it smell like apples than paint (another thing that a mature starter can smell like).

I don't know about you, but I've always wanted to make a mini-fondue "pot" out of an Altoids tin... Seriously, I have an empty Altoids tin sitting in front of me just BEGGING for this.

No comments: